I have an iPhone and love it, except for the fact that it’s very user friendly. What do I mean? I’m more of a technical user with computers. The fact that the iPhone is so easy to use, makes it hard to do slightly more technical stuff. Some trivial email things that frustrate me:
No Custom Email Signatures per AccountSolved! No integrated Exchange Task SyncSolved! Inability to Send As another email account, on the fly.Solved!
Well, I’ve finally found the solution for the last option. I’ve been digging around the internet for a while and read some things that led me to the right solution. I was able to get my IMAP configured to send as any of the many email accounts that I dump into that account. This is fantastic because (among other things) I’m a student at UNT. When I reply to my Student related emails, I do not necessarily want my Teachers to have my personal email address. Now, I can reply from my iPhone with confidence. Hope this helps you all out as much as it has helped me out! Cheers!
Configuring Send As for iPhone IMAP accounts
Note: This DOES include GMail, since that’s actually the service I’m IMAP'ing to.
From your iPhone:
- Configure your IMAP Account
Note: There’s plenty of help online with this, so I’ll focus on the task at hand. The rest of this instruction set assumes that your IMAP account is configured. These instructions are NOT guaranteed or even likely to work in any account (i.e.: POP, Gmail IMAP), except an IMAP account. The settings are slightly different in each. The funny thing is, even GMail suggests that you use regular IMAP setting when you are configuring your iPhone or iPod Touch to connect to a GMail account.
- Go to: Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Select your IMAP account to edit your IMAP settings, as shown:
- Type a Comma (,) in the IMAP Account Information > Description field
- Select the Comma that you just Typed, as shown:
- Select Cut, to remove the Comma (,) from the Description field and store the Comma (,) in your clip board.
- Place the cursor at the end of the IMAP Account Information > Address field, as shown:
- Select Paste, to place the Comma (,) from your clipboard into the field, as shown:
- Type in your Send As email address after the comma (no space is required), as shown:
- Press the Home Button
- Open Mail
- Compose a Message
- Tap the Cc/Bcc, From: line
- Select the From: line and you will see both emails that you opted to Send As, as shown:
Note: I currently have three email addresses set up. I have not tested to see how large the field can get
Demonstrated on iPhone OS 3.1.2 (7D11).
Currently have this working on iPhone OS 3.1.3 (7E18). Still working on iPhone OS 4.2.1 (8C148a). Still working on iPhone OS 5.1.1 (9B206).
Still working on iPhone OS 6.0 (10A403).
AKA: “How to Set Up Multiple From Addresses with an iPhone Mail Account”