I needed to write a Json object in human readable format. This is my solution to this problem.
ConfigMgr: Woes of Supersedence
I was tasked with getting an Office 2013 upgrade set-up for early adopters and forced on our deadline. After I built and tested the application, I marked O2013 as superseding O2010 and made O2013 available. The plan was to make another Required deployment for our deadline. O2013 unexpectedly installed on several machines that night.
Synergy - Send CTRL+ALT+DEL to Client
I’m mostly posting this here for ease of finding it in the future. It seems like most people prefer to disable CTRL+ALT+DEL instead of actually allowing the Synergy service to initiate the Secure Attention Sequence (aka: CTRL+ALT+DEL).
Since the location of the Policy setting changes from Win7 to Win8, I’m going to tell you how to search/filter for it. From the client, follow these steps:
- Lauch Local Group Policy Editor
- Browse to: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > All Settings
- Click Action > Filter Options, from the Main Menu.
- Check the box to Enable Keyword Filters.
- Filter for the word: Ease
- Click: OK
The only (as of the time of this writing) policy that should show up is Disable or enable software Secure Attention Sequence. Edit the policy and ensure the settings are:
- Options: Services
(Note: Services and Ease of Access applications will also work.)
Once you click Apply, the settings will take affect. Press CTRL+ALT+PAUSE/BREAK to initiate the Secure Attention Sequence on the client.
Salt Stack - salt-grains-environment
During my adventures with Salt Stack, I was having issues wrapping my head around how I was going to control what environment my dev machines were in. I even thought that pillar[environment] returning None was a bug. Turns out, I just needed to think more about what process would work in my environment.
GPO - Not Applying User Policy
We spent the day working on an issue where our User Policy wasn’t being applied to the User AD Object logging into a computer. We confirmed the usual steps:
- User AD Object is in the OU where the GPO is applied.
- GPO is enabled.
- Security Filtering is not filtering out the User AD Object.
The policy was simply not showing up on the computer (would not display with `gpresult /r`). After some more digging, we found the issue: