Did a lot of digging to find the details needed so that I can write a Reg Ex to validate an AD Group SamAccountName. Here’s what I got and I wanted to share …
This translates to:
- Not Starting with a period (.) or a space ( ).
- This, by design, excludes strings consisting solely of all periods (.) or spaces ( ).
- Between 1 and 64 characters (inclusive) long.
- Not including any of these characters:
- Not ending in a period (.).
If you’re like me, you want justification:
I realize the page says 63 characters, but my testing shows 64 to be valid (Win2k8).